Wednesday, July 15, 2009

A Dichotomy of Savings....















My shop today was interesting.....

I ran into a gal named Nancy at Publix today in the Texas Toast Crouton section of the store and we had a great time talking about coupons, the culture of TN and religion (a deadly mixture). It was a fascinating conversation.

I also ran into Aaron Smith who was grabbing a quick bite to eat before returning to work. He is always so fun to talk to and we yacked it up for awhile and then I had to continue with my shop so that I could pick up my daughter on time. Always great to see you Aaron.

I eventually worked my way to the register and met two very nice ladies in line who were intrigued about coupons (I warned them that I might be awhile but they didn't seem to mind; they seemed more curious about my savings). It was an eventful trip and I had a great time working my deal and meeting up with some great folks. Thanks to everyone for making my trip so memorable!

I spent a total of $6.86 on my groceries this trip. I then proceeded to drive to McDonalds to get something to eat because I promised my daughter a treat and I hadn't eaten a thing since the morning. I spent $7.86 on my lunch.

Can you see what's wrong with this picture?

This is the second time that this has happened to me. I always get this really weird feeling paying more for fast food than I did for my shop that week. I feel a little like I just spent my life savings on something that really isn't worth the money.

....Couponing will do strange things to you.

OK, here's the deal:

MONEYMAKERS
2 Sugar $.85 ea
($2/10 Kool & Sugar Q (6/21 SS) & $1/5 Kool & Sugar FL Q (tearpad at Food Lion)= FREE + $2.15 overage ea.)
6 J&J $1.79 ea
($3/2 Q (blinkie) & $5/3 Publix Q Green Advantage = FREE + $1.18 overage ea.)
4 Reach Floss $1.49 ea
($.50/1 Q (6/14 SS, 3/15 SS) + $1/1 Publix Q Summertime Savings = FREE + $.51 overage ea.)
4 Tylenol Arthritis $3.48 ea
($2/1 Q (5/17 RP) + $2/1 Publix Q Summertime Savings = FREE + $.52 overage ea.)
9 Band Aids $2.19 ea
($1/1 Q (6/28 SS, 5/17 RP, 4/26 RP) + $5/3 Publix Q Green Advantage = FREE + $.48 overage ea.)
7 Texas Toast $.75 ea
($.50/1 Q (4/05 RP) = FREE + $.25 overage ea.)

STOCKPILE ITEMS
2 M&M's $.89 ea
(FREE coupon for M&M's = FREE)

11 McCormick Grinders $1.00
($1/1 Q from Nothing Goes to Waist= FREE)
4 Bic Mechanical pencils $1.00 ea
($1/1 Q printable = FREE)
20 Kool Aid $.20 ea
(no coupons = .20 ea)
6 Coffeemate $1.20 ea
($.50/1 (6/28 RP) = .20 ea)
6 1-subject notebook $.33 ea
(no coupons = $.33 ea)
3 Elmer's Glue $.33 ea
(no coupons = $.33 ea)
3 Crayola 24-pack $.33 ea
(no coupons = $.33 ea)
3 Pencil packs $.33 ea

(no coupons = $.33 ea)
3 Diet Coke $1.50 ea
(used two $1/1 peelie & $1/1 Publix Q Yellow Advantage = $.50 ea)
2 Papermate Write Bros. Pens $.50 ea
(no coupons = $.50 ea)

THINGS I NEEDED
3 Fresh Express $2.50 ea
($1/1 FLIP here + $1/1 Publix Q Summertime Savings = $.50 ea)

4 Goldfish $1.10 ea
(no coupons = $1.10 ea)

1 Focacia $2.39 ea
($1/1 Target Q here = $1.39 ea)
2 Strawberries $2.50 ea
($1/1 Target Q here = $1.50 ea)
3 tomatoes $1.77
(no coupons = $1.77)

$10/100 competitor coupon (thanks Jennifer Pasos)!

TOTAL: $201.11
TOTAL AFTER COUPONS: $6.86
SAVINGS: 97%

NOTE: One of my Band-Aid packages wrang up wrong so I got it for free and I forgot to use my sugar/Kool Aid coupons at the register so I had to go to customer service to get money back for those coupons. My original balance was $16.99 but after I got a refund for the above my balance was $6.86.

NOTE: I am a sucker for school supplies. My favorite time of the year as a child was the start of a new school semester. I bought all of the school supplies today because I wanted to pretend that I was going back to school this Fall. :)

NOTE: There is a $2/$5 FLIP for produce out this week. You can find it here. I didn't see it until I got home.

76 comments:

midlifemom said...

I wish they had a Publix where I lived!

Dr. Mom said...

I really like the way you separate out the money makers! You got some great deals. I thought I was pretty good at this until I found your site!

Unknown said...

Kelly, It's always great to see you too! I've told some ladies at work about your couponing and we've visited the blog. We have a few questions. Publix will take competitor coupons along with their coupons? Also, we need help with the acronyms that you use in your blog :-)
I may have more questions for you later, but that's it for now.

Thanks
Aaron

Unknown said...

Kelly, I sent you a note that I'm not sure if it made the blog. I'm writing this as a test message to get on to the blog successfully.

The Spaids said...

I loke the breakdown you've added here! You are too funny! Miss you - see you Sunday.

starbucksgirl said...

Dr. Mom - my method involves throwing in my moneymakers first, then adding my stockpile items (with coupons), then adding what I need for the week. You also have to obtain a good supply of $/$$ competitor coupons.

-----------

Aaron, there is nothing officially written in their guideline about this practice; it just depends on your cashier. I haven't had many problems in this area as you usually only have one Manufacturer coupon and one store coupon (either Publix or Competitor) per item. It is the rare occasion that I have two store coupons for one item but it happens sometimes.

You can go here for a breakdown of the acronymns involved in couponing:
http://www.iheartpublix.com/?page_id=39

Those who are interested in learning how to coupon this way should go here:
http://www.southernsavers.com/getting-started-guides/guide-to-supermarket-savings/

My blog is really for advanced couponers. It is a visual blog for Publix shoppers so that they can see what they can get that week at Publix. There are several other blogs online that teach you how to coupon in general and there are several classes in the area that teach the basics. Faithful provisions provides one of them:
http://www.faithfulprovisions.com/workshops/

Hope that helps.

-----------

Melissa, I think the breakdown will help folks in the church to understand my method. Can't wait to have you back next week!

Unknown said...

Kelly, That helps a lot.
Thanks

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I just wanted to say thank you so much for sharing the details. I've often looked over your deals with admiration, but without the coupon specific information I was unable to replicate.

Also I really enjoy seeing how you separate your purchases into different strategies. Very effective.

Please continue to post entries exactly like this! Your method is unique and is not being replicated elsewhere on the web. You have developed the practice into an art.

Thank you so much for your time and effort! It is much appreciated!

starbucksgirl said...

Aaron, your welcome. :)

-------

Anon, you're the first person to understand that this is a method.

You're a smart cookie.
I think I like you.

Who are you? Please sign your name to your posts if you're going to post as "anon"

Bryan said...

Hi,

It's me again, anonymous from above. My name is Bryan. Yes, I'm a lone male in this matriarhcial society of couponing.

Thanks again, and I'm already looking forward to next week!

Bryan

Bethany said...

As always...inspiring!! I am so excited that we have a Food Lion now open (it's still about 30 minutes away, but getting closer!). I am hoping to go next week and scout out for some coupons! Are you looking for any that I may be able to snag and send your way? In my area, we still aren't able to use them :(.

Natasha said...

Kelly,
I just found your blog about two weeks ago, and you have already helped me to save a lot of money!

I only wish that my local publix would take $/$$ competitor coupons—they will not accept them :(

Thank you for the photos and detailed information!

starbucksgirl said...

Bryan, it can be a bit matriarchial (even for me)! LOL.

The advantage that you have is that you're male. My husband is well loved by his female cashiers because he is the "lone male." I think they find it refreshing to see a man at the register using coupons.

Welcome to the blog. My husband is happy to have some company.

-----------

Bethany, I am always on the lookout for the $1 off sugar WYB Kool Aid coupon and anything else that you find that looks interesting (so really anything)!!

Hope you get a Food Lion soon. You could always go and talk to the manager and ask them if you can use the Food Lion Q's there. We were able to use any grocery store coupon when we were in Atlanta (even the local Nashville ones).

-----------

Natasha, welcome to the blog. I would be bummed if my store wouldn't take $/$$ coupons. What region are you in?

Carrie said...

I have to agree! Your blog is inspiring and awesome that you were able to post your deals today, so early in the ad week. Its a big help when planning my trips! Thank you!

starbucksgirl said...

Natasha, I saw your comment today on Bethany's blog and it almost made me fall out of my seat laughing. LOL.

Thanks for making my day!

Earthy Mama said...

Great job! I don't see a lot on sale this week I need/want, but I have so many moneymakers, I may get another gas card, or just get a bunch of things I really want! :) It's nice for a slow week to happen when there's so many mm's!! Oh, I put your envelope in the mail yesterday, so keep an eye out for it.

Shannon said...

I just found your blog last week and love it!!! I have taken the classes from Kelly @ Faithful Provision and have dropped from $150/wk to about $70/wk. Looking forward to following your blog and getting even lower. I wish you offered some advanced classes still. Thanks.

Shannon

Earthy Mama said...

I'm a little confused... If you buy 10 Kool-Aid and one sugar, you can use one mq for $2 off sugar (wyb 10 kool-aid), and one Food Lion q for $1 off (wyb 5 Kool-aid). So $3-$.85= $2.15 over, right? (something is wrong with my math)...

starbucksgirl said...

Brandy, I think you're right. I did the math wrong. It's a $2.15 moneymaker per bag of sugar. Thanks.

starbucksgirl said...

Brandy, Thanks so much for the envelope. I look forward to receiving it. BTW, mom's group is at my house next Friday. Wanna come?

Must be nice to have so many moneymakers to get ANOTHER gas card. :)

-------------

Shannon, where do you live? I'd be happy to take you on a shop with me and get you to the next level by walking you through the method. I shop on Wednesdays at Maryland Farms; I'm usually there anywhere from 11:00-2:00pm. Just let me know. :)

Bryan said...

Hi, it's me again.

I went to Publix yesterday evening armed with this new information. I had a pretty good trip, paid $39 saved $134.

However, the cashier seemed very nervous when he saw that I was getting overages. He seemed to have been told specifically to not allow overages.

Also, they would not allow Food Lion or any other competitor coupon until is was for a specific item, meaning no x off xx or the $2 off produce.

Should I look around for a different store. I don't want to do anything wrong and get an employee in trouble. Will most Publix stores allow overages?

Thanks!
Bryan

Anonymous said...

First thing's first. I think I'm obsessed with your blog. I just found it and I love your style.

Second thing---what is this about the finding coupons in recycling bins? Tell me more.

Shannon said...

I live in Nolensville and usually shop at the Concord Rd./Nolensville Rd. Publix. I would love to meet you at Publix, I'll let you know the next Wed. that my husband is home so I can meet w/o the kids. Thanks for the offer, looking forward to it!!!

Natasha said...

To answer your question about what region I am in: I am not sure, but I shop at McGinnis Crossing (Store #00615) in Suwanee, GA. It is about two miles from my house. They do not consider convenience stores or Target as competitors. There are no Food Lion stores around either so they do not take FL. The only grocery store nearby is Kroger, and I have not see a lot of $/$$ coupons for Kroger.

There are some other Publix stores nearby that may have a different policy. It is just that this Publix near my house is so convenient!

Glad you got a laugh from what I posted on Bethany's blog! I think it is just great that your class clapped at the end!!!

starbucksgirl said...

Bryan, what region are you in? Where do you shop?

----------

mbkfldhcky13, I understand where you're coming from. I'm obsessed with my blog a little too. What region are you in? Most areas have city recycle bins and you can get free inserts in them.

------------

Shannon, just let me know when you are ready and I'll meet you. I love the Concord store BTW. They have excellent management.

-----------

Natasha, most Publix stores do not consider convenience stores as a competitor. YMMV re: what stores they consider as their competitor. I would look for a store that has a more liberal competitor policy if you want to maximize your savings. The stores that have a higher profitability probably have a more "open" competitor policy (generally speaking).

Earthy Mama said...

Thanks for the invite next week! N has her gymnastics make up class that afternoon, so it probably won't work out that day. :(

I actually will be shopping Wednesday this week, so maybe we'll bump into one another ;)

and... I need to find out where the recycle bin moved to one of these days! I am seriously low on my recent inserts (ten is low. pathetic.)

Anonymous said...

On the Koolaid/sugar deal can't you use 2 of the $1/5 FL coupons becasue you are getting 10 packets making your total a $3.15 MM?

starbucksgirl said...

Brandy, I hope we run into each other. That would make for an unusual post. HEADLINE: "Ilovepublix and Ipreferpublix hang out together at their favorite stomping grounds. News at 11."

BTW, the recycle bins are not moving to that park anymore. Email me about the bins so I can provide you with more info.

------------

Anon, you can definitely use two of the $1/5 FL Q's, however, you will then need to buy an additional bag of sugar at $.85 (i.e. one manufacturer Q and one competitor Q per item).

Bryan said...

Hi,

I am in Middle Tennessee. I live in Murfreesboro and work in Nashville.


B

starbucksgirl said...

Bryan, where do you shop? What store?

Anonymous said...

I'm in charleston, sc. I need to do a little research because I've never seen recycling bins sitting out.

Bryan said...

Hi, I shop at 1691 Memorial Blvd, Murfreesboro, TN - (615) 849-4260.

starbucksgirl said...

Bryan, I have never shopped in Murfreesboro, however, I would be very surprised if they didn't take the $/$$ coupons and the produce coupon.

My suggestion? Well, I would go and talk to the store manager and show him the coupons that you are trying to use and inform him that the cashier is telling you that they don't take them. Then if you are met with resistance I would tell him that all of the other Publix stores in Nashville (Cool Springs, Royal Oaks, Maryland Farms, Nipper's Corner, Concord, etc) all take the $/$$ and the produce coupon.

If you are still met with resistance then email Publix.com and you will most likely get a call from someone (either the District Manager or the Store manager). Explain to them that your shopping experience has been very discouraging and that you want to continue to shop at Publix but it doesn't seem coupon friendly to you.

Publix aims to please and it's possible that the cashier that checked you out is misinformed (which happens all the time BTW).

starbucksgirl said...

mbkfldhcky13, here you go:

http://www.charlestoncounty.org/departments/solidwaste/D-RecyLocat.htm

Bryan said...

Hi again,

Thanks very much for the information. I'll try that tactic with my local Publix. And I wouldn't be bluffing necessarily either. I could shop at any a Publix in Nashville on my way home from work just as easily as the one here in Murfreesboro.

And do you feel the same way about overages? Those same stores you mentioned will knowingly allow you to get overages?

Thanks again for everything!
Bryan

starbucksgirl said...

Bryan,

Some of the stores do it knowingly and some of them do it unknowingly probably.

I am planning on having a private conversation with the District Manager of our region when I get a moment to discuss the concept with him. He is a business person and I think that it will be a simple discussion. It basically boils down to Publix either giving us the overage or taking it themselves as a profit. I think that I can explain to the DM that the reason that we shop @ Publix is because of the overage. The bottom line is the store gets reimbursed for the value of the coupon so it is ethical.

Many of the folks that work for Publix do not understand the in's and out's of couponing; it helps to understand it yourself so that you can explain it to them.

Make sense?

.....to be continued.

Dr. Mom said...

I shop at the Franklin Publix and they are really great with coupons and overage as well. Most of the cashiers get excited when you save a lot with coupons.

jennifer said...

Just found your blog and LOVE it! I live in the Atlanta area and my Publix just stopped taking comp $/$$ Q's. They day they told me that, I came home like I'd just lost my best friend! Thanks for the great info!

starbucksgirl said...

As a suggestion.....I would recommend shopping at Maryland Farms (on Old Hickory about a mile West of 65). They are used to couponers because Brandy (ipreferpublix.blogspot.com) and I both shop there. We have talked to many of the cashiers there so they are familiar with coupons; they have one of the best couponing policies as a Publix store. Their manager Eric is awesome! I also really like the Concord store (corner of Concord and Nolensville). Very good management.

starbucksgirl said...

Hey Jennifer, welcome to our community. I just visited Hotlanta a few weeks ago. If I were you I would find a new Publix. That's just too sad to think about. BTW, liked your blog. Great trip to Publix this week.

starbucksgirl said...

Dr. Mom - I agree. Franklin is a good store too. :) Their customer service manager (Anthony) is a great guy.

Anonymous said...

I'm new to your site and fairly new to couponing but I'm learning lots about Publix. I'm closer to Nipper's Corner but prefer to go to Maryland Farms because of they are SO much nicer about my coupons. It's so nice to have the cashier pleased about my savings instead of making me feel as though I'm doing something wrong by using my coupons. Nipper's Corner is actually closer to our Food Lion store but they regularly have told me they don't accept them as a competitor. They also would not take my $/$$ coupon from Target although there is a store just a couple of miles away. It was very discouraging to me as I was starting this process.

How do you get all these great coupon books? I've stopped in several different stores at various times and rarely find anything except the Green and Yellow Advantage flyers. Is there some regular time they put things out? I have two preschoolers with me just about always so running in just to get a flyer is cumbersome.

Looking forward to learning lots from you!

Jan

starbucksgirl said...

Hi Jan,

Nipper's Corner is not as friendly as Maryland Farms but they are working on becomming more friendly. If you have any problems at Nipper's Corner just go and talk to Tim in Customer Service. He is very friendly towards couponers.

Nipper's does not take Target coupons. This is an individual decision by this store; every Publix decides who their competitor's are and they have decided that Target isn't one of them.

Nipper's does take Food Lion coupons so if you have a problem then you should go and talk to someone in customer service after the transaction about the problem that you had. They have never refused my Food Lion coupons.

You have to keep your eyes open for the booklets. They rotate through the store several times a year.

I have two preschoolers too. My advice is to go shopping at night that way you can focus on getting all the flyers/booklets without distractions.

Have a great evening!

Melissa said...

I just came across your site through Southern Savers, and I'm so glad I did! You saved as much as some people actually spend on groceries each week - that's awesome. I really miss living near a Publix!

Leisa said...

My shop at Publix today was a little disheartening. The assistant manager checked me out and refused overage. I had enough to cover all my items withan expected bill of 10.00. She said that they would not get reiumbursed the coupon amount because they had to link it to what I purchased?

I did not feel properly educated enough to argue this point. So is this true?

Should I speak with the manager, or lay low and see if the cashiers continue to give overage?

Leisa in FL

starbucksgirl said...

Hi Melissa. You should sell your house and move next door to Publix. I mean...where's your priorities?

---------

Leisa, I don't believe the Assistant Manager knows what she is talking about. They will get reimbursed for the full value of the manufacturer's coupon plus 8 cents. The coupon amount is not linked to the price that you paid. That's not how it works.

It works this way.....

Let's say 1,000 people use the $.50 Texas crouton coupon. Publix has to sell at least 1,000 crouton bags. If they have only sold 900 croutons but they have 1,000 coupons then they will only be reimbursed for 900 of those coupons.

That's how it works.

I don't believe that the Assistant Manager is educated about coupons. I would go to the Manager and tell them what happened. They should not be adjusting your manufacturer's coupons because they get the full value of that coupon from the manufacturer.

It gets fuzzier when it comes to competitor coupons though.

For example, let's look at the Kashi Pizza's that were on sale last week. They were 50% off. The pizza's ended up costing $3.00 each. I had a $3/1 manufacturer Q for the Pizza's and a $.50 Target Q. If management decides to only accept the manufacturer Q and not the Target Q because it gives overage then I would have a hard time arguing with them (although I would point out that their guideline states that they will accept one man. Q and one comp. Q per item so they should consider giving me the overage). But, I believe that they have the right to make a decision to refuse to reduce my balance by the price of the Target Q because the man. Q made the item FREE. This is their choice.

They should not, however, be adjusting man. Q's as they are reimbursed for these in full.

Make sense?

All that to say, I have addressed overage a few posts above this post. Please read what I have stated there.

Have a nice evening!

Stacey said...

I remember you said that you get $/$$ competitor coupons from the Sunday paper...can you point me towards where in the paper? Looked all over mine and didn't see anything! I do remember it was from a store I wasn't familiar with. Is there a difference in Tennessean papers from different counties in TN? I could be wrong, but wondering maybe thats why I didn't see anything? I'm in Davidson, btw!

I'm completeloy LOVING all the overage lately, btw!! I even got my in-laws who are with us for a few weeks into it! They wanted some expensive steaks to grill out yesterday, and of course, I had to take them to Publix to use all that overage towards the $30+ in steaks/chicken! I'd never spend that much, and was glad they paid for it! They were also glad I saved them $20 something by using overage!!

starbucksgirl said...

Stacey, there are two regular sources for $/$$ competitor coupons:

1. GFS Marketplace puts out a $5/50 coupon once a month in the Sunday paper; it is on the back side of their one page circular ad.

2. H.G. Hill puts out a $5/50 coupon almost every week in the Franklin Review Appeal; it is usually on the back side of the paper.

You need to make sure that the Publix that you shop at takes both of these competitor coupons. I use them regularly at Maryland Farms, Nippers Corner, Concord, Moore's Lane, Royal Oaks, and the store near Fieldstone Farms.

Nice job on the overage for steaks. Can't beat that.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Kelly. Do you know if the GFS coupon has published yet this month? I missed the 7/5 paper... Also, do you know if the Review Appeal is available in news boxes or if it is delivery only (I live in B'wood). Thanks for all you do!
Wendy

starbucksgirl said...

Wendy,

I don't know if the GFS coupon has published yet; I don't buy the paper. I sometimes find the coupon in the recycle bins.

The Franklin Review Appeal is only delivered to homes in Franklin (not available for delivery to your mailbox). You'll have to find a friend who can give you the back of the paper. I also find these in recycle bins.

Anonymous said...

I have been following this blog for a few weeks now and although I cannot seem to reach these type of savings yet, I am learning. Anyways, found a cool deal today but just couldn't make it work like I would have liked. It was a tearpad at Kroger $2 off when you buy CapriSun and Chips Ahoy cookies. As luck would have it, Publix has BOGO on the Chips Ahoy and CapriSun for $1.89, so it ended up being around $1.50 for the two. But there are Target Qs that would have gotten me XX off Chips Ahoy if I buy 2 family size Nabisco snacks. And then I had MQs for the Nabisco and TargetQs for Nabisco but they were over $4 a box. Anyways, I guess my synopsis is sometimes Qs make me crazy!! LOL Love your site!

Earthy Mama said...

I haven't seen the GFS coupon yet in July. (I get my grandparents' weekly paper and she saves that insert for me) :)

starbucksgirl said...

Anon, I love to see other couponers struggle with trying to make a deal work. If you get that deal to work, please post your deal here in the comments section so that others can benefit.

--------

Everyone, I'm thinking of closing down the blog for private viewing once it reaches a certain number so that we can keep a small community atmosphere around here. I will let you all know if I decide to do this. I will most likely put a post up where you can leave your email address for access to the blog. I'll keep you posted.

----------

Brandy, thanks for responding to that gal about the GFS coupon. We'll keep our eyes peeled.

Bryan said...

Hi,

I read your comment about making the blog private. As much as I believe in the free exchange of information, I'll bet you are aware of the recent events with the Publix legal department and other blogging sites.

This site will most likely be on the legal team's list because of the publix name in the URL. Helping people get good deals and save money is an important calling, but it certainly isn't worth risking the financial future of your own family.

Also, you a VERY good at couponing. While Publix might want to encourage general coupon use at its stores, I doubt very much if they wanted people to advance to your level.

I'm a web developer and software architect. Let me know if I can help.

starbucksgirl said...

Bryan, thanks for your post.

I did see that publix4pennies was sent a letter recently but that is the only site that I am aware of that was sent a letter. I'm not entirely clear on why they were sent a letter in the first place (I don't think they are sure either).

I have mostly wanted to make the blog private because I don't like many of the really large couponing sites and I want things to be cozy and community-oriented. Some of the couponers that are out there are wound pretty tight and I wanted a more relaxed place where people could come and learn without a bunch of coupon nazi's breathing down their necks (like the "reactionists" that are everywhere at Hot Coupon World). I originally created this site for my friends but don't mind that others are benefiting. I like operating this way.

On another note, I think that Publix loves couponers like us. I think that they are very happy that we are in their stores saving lots of money. We become the opinion leaders in our community and we pull people away from shopping at other venues and bring them to Publix. The managers in my area are aware of the fact couponing has increased greatly at their stores and they want to accommodate us (not discourage us). My local store has seen an almost 50% increase in coupon usage in the last year (from the previous year). That is good news for Publix.

Publix is not losing money on us; just go to their website and look at their profitability margins. They are just not making as much money on us (because of competitor coupons) as they would. They still take in money because of our manufacturer coupons (that extra .03-.04 cents per coupon adds up).

Still, not everyone will get to the level that we are at and that's ok. Publix is thrilled that we are bringing people to their stores.

That's so great that you're a web developer and software architect. That's good to know. All I know is that you're a great guy that coupons and, therefore, you're definitely on my "cool guy" list.

Smile.

Bryan said...

Hi again,

Good points! It's easy to forget that they actually get back all of the money for the coupons. (Except competitor coupons of course).

And I never shopped at Publix beforehand. Now it's about the only place I shop.

Thanks again, and here's hoping I get an invitation!

B

Unknown said...

Bryan,
I also live in Murfreesboro and have had problems with competitor coupons at the Memorial Store. They were very rude to me when I tried to use one. I don't believe they are schooled in their policies.

I live closer to the Publix on Franklin Road. They are always friendly to me and don't have a problem taking competitor coupons. They even took my $5/$50 H.G. Hills coupon from the Franklin Review Appeal (my husband works in Franklin and picked one up for me). I went Sunday and spent $15 and saved $100. The cashier said, "Pretty soon I'll be paying you." I was so pumped and couldn't have done it without seeing this awesome blog.

Thanks for all the info and I hope that I can be part of your small community.

starbucksgirl said...

Brian and Tshanina, everyone that is currently following the blog will get an invitation. :)

I'll be closing it very soon. I'm about to go on vacation for a few weeks and I'll put the post up while I'm gone directing everyone to leave their email address so that I can give them access. After a day or so I will go ahead and close it.

So glad to have both of you here. :)

Anonymous said...

Which Publix will take the HG Hills $/$$ coupons? I went to the one in H-ville and had trouble using store coupons with manf. coupons. The manager was very rude, so I won't be back but the Publix on Nippers Corner told me they wouldn't take target coupons! Which store do you find you havethe least trouble with using Target, FL, and HG Hill $/$$oupons??

Thanks in advance!!- Katie

starbucksgirl said...

Katie, are you sure you spoke with the manager of Hendersonville (his name is Bryant). He was the manager at Nipper's until just recently and is a very nice man. Find out who you spoke with and then go and talk to the manager or contact corporate at Publix.com. All Publix stores take store coupons (either Publix or competitor) and manf. coupons stacked together. Tell me what problem you had specifically using the coupons. Were you trying to obtain overage and they wouldn't let you?

Nippers does not take Target coupons; this is a manager decision leftover from when Bryant was the manager there. Bryant didn't think that Target was a competitor. I'm not sure he will allow them at Hendersonville but for now I think they are still taking them. Just don't have them ask him as he doesn't want to accept them but he will allow it if the cashier allows it.

The stores that I have the least trouble with are the following:

Concord store (corner of Concord and Nolensville)
Franklin store (on Royal Oaks)
Cool Spring store (on Moore's Lane)
Maryland Farms (on Old Hickory)

All of the above still take Target and FL Q's. YMMV with the HG Hill coupon. I have used it at all of the above stores but technically it is not located near any of the above stores (it is a grocery store comp. Q though).

Stacey said...

I did not know that the Concord store took Target q's! It's my fave store! I do try to spread it out between Nippers and Concord so neither one gets too tired of seeing me! Haha! I only ever really went to Maryland when I wanted to use a Target or Walgreen's q!

I've found Nipper's to be ok with FLIPS and overage as long as I have equal items/coupons, but very often I don't feel that the cashiers are friendly! There are a couple that I feel like they get grumpy when I hamd them coupons that have to be manually entered! I've learned to master the UScan, which helps me alot to make sure I'm getting the right $$ off and means I only have to give my competitor and free q's to the cashier!

I've never had a cashier or manager at Concord NOT be friendly or happy to help! Its not that the ones at Nippers are bad, but they just don't seem to want to help as much!

starbucksgirl said...

Stacey, a suggestion....

When you give the coupons to the cashier make sure you hand them to him/her one section at a time. This ensures that your coupons are input correctly (as you can listen for the beeps as they are scanned). I always hand over my coupons in this order:

1. $/$$ always give them this one first
2. Manu. Q for item
3. Compe. Q for same items
4. repeat

I also communicate as I hand them to him/her. I will say, "these are for the 5 Fresh Express salads that I bought, etc." And, "these are the 5 competitor coupons for that same item. They will not scan; they will need to be entered manually." This really helps the cashiers.

Also, make sure you fill in all of the amounts on the FREE item coupons so that cashier doesn't have to look up the price of the item.

I also try to chat with the cashier as she is ringing up my items (i.e. small talk, how is her day going, etc). Then I focus on the coupons.

Capiche?

Heather said...

Hey there, I love this blog and would love a private invitation. I live in GA, but benefit greatly from the info you provide! I promise not to be a coupon nazi!! ;)

I do have a ? for you, I posted it on another site too without much luck of an answer.

Here it is copy and pasted from the other site:
The Kraft Salad Dressing is BOGO. I have several $1.50/1 Q’s to use. (makes them free plus .01 overage) THEN I have Save $2 off meat WYB 2 Kraft products. SO, this is a Q for meat. NOW…can I also use a $1 off any produce item WYB 2 Kraft Salad Dressings? Is this SUPER STACKING? And is this legal since the 2 extra coupons are for other products but considering all the kraft is the “WYB 2 Kraft…”??

See what I’m asking? Has anyone tried this before? Because I’m buying the salad dressing would be why I could save $2 on meat and $1 on produce.

Thanks again and are there any good money makers this week??? :) Heather - PS just started my savings tracking blog - http://publixfreak.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Hello,

I just came across your website & am very impressed with it. I was wondering how many inserts you normally get? Do you subscribe to the Tennessean? Or just pick up the papers on Sunday?

I have been couponing for about 6 months & currently subscribe to the Tennessean. However, there are times where I wish I would have more than 1 of the Mfg Q. I try to look in the recycle bin & occassionally I find inserts, but mostly not.

Thanks for your willingness to share your couponing skills!

Jennifer

Daphne said...

Love the site! I too am a new Publix and coupon lover. Before I used coupons I never shopped there. It didn't take me very long at all to figure out Publix's coupon policy and customer service is far superior to the other stores.

I'd like to know more about the recycling bins. I've been dumpster diving at some of the recycling bins in Franklin but it's usually hit or miss. Are there certian days or times of the day you go? I don't have the guts to go in broad daylight. Are there certain bins that are easier to rumage through than others? Any tips on maxmizing my findings would be great!

Also, have you ever shopped at the McKay's Mill Publix? It's a little farther from my house than the Franklin Riverside Dr location but I have better luck getting them to accept my Target Q's and they always seem to have great tearpads and booklets that I can't always find at other stores.

Anonymous said...

Hello there!!

I wrote you a few weeks back about the ever changing Publix policies and you encouraged me to contact the manage or write corporate...that worked well they said I could still use the food lion coupons! Woo Hoo....

So I was really writing to you for some direction/encouragement/understanding....HELP! I have started couponing and it has not escaped all my friend's and co-workers.....!! They have asked me to teach a class on how-to. I am confident to teach the class. However, here lies the dilemma. I work for a huge huge huge missionary organization. Everyone and their uncle will want on this bandwagon!!! I know you teach classes. I know you can't conrtol misuse but its like flooding the market and I am a bit afraid of Publix pulling out of the game!!!! Do you have any advice??????

Anonymous said...

No, I must have spoken with a cust serv. mgr. It was a female and I don't recall her name. The trouble I had was with Huggies diapers, I had the publix $3 off coupon with a manf. coupon, and a FL $1.50 coupon. She said b/c the FL coupon read Limit 1 coupon per transaction I could not stack it with the publix or manf. coupon. I had also made a mistake prior to her seeing that regaring the duracell batteries, bc I read it wrongand picked up the wrong package(smaller quantity then the publix q required). I apoligized for that miscommunication, but then she decided to go over every q the cashier and already rang up and scruntize each one (including the Huggies- that he had already rang just fine), like I was trying to get over on them. ie asking are you sure you bought this? etc. Just a hassle that I wasn't expecting bc I try to read my q's properly so that sort of thing doesn't happen.

-Katie

Anonymous said...

I asked you a few weeks ago about a Publix issue here in Orlando and I did email corporate and heard back from them and they now allow me to use my FoodLion coupons hassle free. Oh there are moments....but for the most part it worked out well emailing them.

I have a HUGE new dilemma. I have to preface with a huge excuse for sounding sooooo selfish. I feel horrible, but anyways.....To the truth of the matter. My savings has not escaped my co-workers glare's. EVERYONE is interested in what I am doing. I need help, encouragement, advice..... Whatever insight you can offer. My work has asked me to teach a class. I am confident to teach a class. No problems there, I am just worried about the repercussions. I work for a HUGE organization with TONS of missionaries!!!!! EVERYONE and their uncle are going to want in on this! I am worried about flooding the Publix's with coupon crazed money saving missionaries!!!!!!! I am scared that it might really change things in the long run and become rougher to coupon. Selfish, but I know you teach couponing and I was hoping and praying you have some amazing insight to help me over this mental hurdle. I sure to appreciate you and all your help!!

Anonymous said...

Woops just realized I might have sent posts twice...So sorry...I guess I was a little too eager!

Bethany said...

Hi! I have been behind on reading my blogs for the last several days, so I've been out of the loop. I am not a "follower", but I definitely follow. :) Hope I will get an invite and didn't miss out on the post. Have a great vacation. We are leaving next week for several days at the beach (compliments of Marriott Guatemala).

Kelli said...

Where did you go Kelly?

starbucksgirl said...

Heather – since you asked for my advice. I would be careful teaching a large group of people. Once you teach a person they will come to you constantly with questions. You may/may not have time for this. My suggestion would be to teach one or two people and then tell them that instead of charging them for the class they are obligated to find one or two people that they can teach. I would also tell them what I tell my students, “don’t’ use my name for any reason when you are in a store.” Don’t reference me, don’t talk about me, don’t tell someone that I am able to do a deal so you should be able to do a deal.” Your students need to stand on their own two feet. I tell my students that if they use my name and I find out then I will go to the stores that they shop out and tell them to scrutinize every coupon that they use because I don’t want to be held culpable for their mistakes. I don’t want my name associated with my friend’s coupon usage. Period. Finally, I would direct them to other coupon sites that teach the basics. One or two of the folks that actually take the time to learn on their own will begin to really stand out in their couponing. You can then target these people as your students as they will easily grasp all of the concepts. Believe me…..some people get the math/concepts and some people don’t.

One way to get people to stop noticing your savings is to stop telling them how much you save. This urge is hard to resist though as it is pretty exciting to tell folks.

Don’t worry. Publix isn’t going to pull out of anything. They are in the market to make money and the more people we bring to Publix the happier they are. Not everyone will coupon at the same level that we are couponing. Resist the urge to be selfish. There’s plenty for everyone.

-------------------

Katie – the reason that you couldn’t use the FL coupon is not because it said “one coupon per transaction.” Not every Publix will allow you to stack a Publix Q with a competitor Q. For that reason alone she was probably in the “right” to tell you that you couldn’t use it. That’s up to management. She may have been wrong about the reason but the result would have still been the same. Don’t worry about being perceived a certain way by your store. As you coupon there they will form an opinion of you over time. They know who to trust in their stores. They will get a feel for you from week to week so keep your cool and smile and enjoy yourself.

--------------------

Bethany, if you leave your information when I make my final post before closing the blog then you will be on the list.

----------------

Kelli, I am out of town. Just arrived at my destination and checked the blog.

starbucksgirl said...

Just made it to my destination. Here’s my responses:

Heather – you can stack all 3 of those coupons. Here’s why:

1. One is for the salad dressing
2. One is for the meat (wyb salad dressing)
3. One is for the produce (wyb salad dressing)

As far as your other question re: moneymakers is concerned. I’m out of town and won’t be doing any shops for two weeks. There are still several moneymakers out there until the end of July when the Summertime savings booklet Q’s will expire (tylenol arthritis, apple & eve juice, reach floss, etc). I’m sure there are others but I won’t be following couponing for a few weeks.

---------------

Jennifer – I obtain anywhere from 20-30 inserts for each week from the recycle bin. I do not buy inserts anymore. I get these over time as I go to the bins once a week with my husband.

-----------------

Daphne – I go to the recycle bins on Saturday. They are always full by the afternoon. You have to go during the day if you want to get inserts or else look like a robber by going at night with a flashlight and mask on your face. My recommendation is to get over your fear and go for it. The bins are located all over town and there’s plenty for everyone. Really.

Never shopped McKay’s Mill but I would imagine that they would be coupon rich as they are a smaller store in a neighborhood and, therefore, probably not scoured for coupons like the larger stores.

bec said...

Where do you get all of your $/$$ coupons? I am having trouble tracking some down.

starbucksgirl said...

Bec, I get them from various sources (the newspaper, the recycle bins, friends, etc).

bec said...

Thank you. I will keep my eyes open. I am really looking for the $5/$30. Can't seem to find them in my area, Hendersonville/Gallatin.