Tuesday, July 7, 2009

When life hands you cream cheese, cool whip and sugar.....


















My brain started spinning as I was getting free cream cheese, sugar and cool whip this week at Publix. My mouth would start to water and saliva was pooling at the corner of my lips. What was happening to me? Oh yeah.....

......I was craving Peanut Butter Pie.

My love affair with Peanut Butter Pie began one Saturday afternoon when I received a letter from Jason's grandmother. The letter was bulky and I thought to myself, "oh good, a nice long letter from one of our grandparents." I was contemplating making a pot of tea and sitting down to read the news back home in TX. When I opened the letter I found 16 recipe cards neatly typed on a ribbon typewriter. I almost cried. I am a very nostalgic person and the thought of receiving a letter brought me great joy but the thought of a grandmother sitting down to type out 16 recipe cards on a non-computer was just too much for me to take.

I fingered the recipes and savored every one (Oxtail Soup, Hawaiian Chicken, Frito Pie on a Plate, Tater-tot Casserole, Praline Grahams, Pistachio-Pineapple Delight, and last but not least she included a recipe for Roach Bait because no self-respecting Texan's recipe collection would be complete without one).

I knew that I was holding the key to my husband's heart right in my hands (minus the Roach Bait recipe). I showed my husband and he just smiled and asked when we would be eating dinner. I smiled back and told him that we would be eating dinner and dessert very shorty. I then stumbled upon the Deluxe Peanut Butter Pie recipe. I could not believe that in all my years of growing up in the West I had never heard of Peanut Butter Pie. Well, I learned quickly that I was at a deficit for having never tasted this delight.

So, here it is for you to enjoy. If you've been couponing for the last 4 months you should have all of these ingredients in your stockpile. I made the crust from a box of Teddy Grahams and a stick of butter. Just crumble the grahams and add melted butter and bake on 350 for about 10 minutes and let cool. You can either put the pie in the refridgerator or freeze (my personal favorite). If you freeze the pie then the crust will be slightly more difficult to cut. Of course, you can always eat it out of the pie tin (smile). The above piece is what is left from the pie that I made two days ago.











11 comments:

Kimberly said...

OMG! That is too sweet, I totally wish I had something like that from my grandmother!

Melea said...

Great post Kelly! Can't wait to try this recipe myself! Mmmmmm!

Bethany said...

That is super sweet (and I'm not talking about just the pie)! I'm going to make this this weekend for my hubby. He is in LOVE with peanut butter and I think after this, he just might want to remarry me!! :)

starbucksgirl said...

Bethany...

He will definitely be repeating those vows after he gets a taste of this pie....

Creamy, peanut-buttery, need I say more?

JMac said...

YUM. This looks much better to me than the edible play-dough S and I enjoyed...

JMac said...

YUM! This looks oh-so-much better than the edible play-dough S and I made...

starbucksgirl said...

Jen, we're still eating that play-dough. Yum, yum. I get a little freaked out everytime I put it on a peanut butter and jelly sandwich though as I'm not certain if the portion that I'm putting on the sandwich has been handled. LOL.

BTW, thanks for your call today for Savannah's b-day. And, thanks for the card. She loved it. She loves Winnie-the-Pooh. You're a great Auntie!!

Wendy said...

In the recipe... is that 3 cups or 8 cups of powdered sugar? Thanks!

starbucksgirl said...

2 cups of powdered sugar.

Anonymous said...

This was the bes pie I think I've ever made. I just stumbled accross your blog and love it. Do you offer advanced couponing classes?

starbucksgirl said...

Anon, I'm glad you feel the same way that I do about the pie. It is lethal.

I just gave my last coupon class tonight. I'm in retirement for awhile as I have two small children.

You should be able to learn some techniques from the reading the blog though.