Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Diapers, and charcoal, and glad....oh my!















I need a serious charcoal break. When charcoal goes on sale my husband gets a little wild in the eyes and he MUST go out and get his FREE charcoal.

I, on the other hand, think that 120 bags of charcoal is "quite enough thank you." So it was with trepidation that I embarked on our last charcoal deal for the week. If you would have told me that my life would be revolving around Publix sales a year ago I would have laughed in your general direction.

Seriously.

Our goal tonight was to buy 5 big boxes of diapers for the baby. This was the only way that I could make the deal interesting because I am pretty tired of doing the charcoal deal.

I need to repent. I feel like the Israelites in the desert when God continued to give them manna and all they could do was complain. I don't think that I can look at another package of pork or meat for at least a couple of weeks. I need to see more color in my shops; something other than the blue color of charcoal, the pink color of pork and the yellow color of Glad. Ok, I need to repent....really.

Can anyone relate?

So, since this deal looks exactly like the other deals that I have done in the past few weeks I am not going to list out everything I purchased. There are 20 bags of charcoal, 20 Glad, 20 pork, 8 beef, 10 apple & eve, lots of Kool Aid, lots of sugar, 3 Neosporin (thanks for the tip Anon), 4 Depends (on clearance - FREE w/Publix Q) and 5 boxes of diapers. Keep in mind that this is 5 separate shops combined.

TOTAL: $510.41
TOTAL AFTER COUPONS: $27.67
SAVINGS: 95%




14 comments:

Earthy Mama said...

LOL! well, hey, you can't beat 5 basically free boxes of mega pack diapers! My goal for next week (trip #2) is to get a $50 gas card for free. :)

And, er, MY FREEZER IS BROKEN!!!

Earthy Mama said...

Oh and I think you should make Jason go do all the charcoal deals from now on. :D I couldn't do it. I have only done it a few times...I think maybe 12 or 13? I will be doing 6 more next week since I have a raincheck burning a hole in my pocket. :) Just lugging the charcoal around would wear me out!

Also, I'm curious, how many transactions do you do when you do all the charcoal? I bet you hit the $50 mark pretty quickly- that's the part I hate, having the manager have to override every q after that...

starbucksgirl said...

Brandy, I just read about your freezer. I am so, so sorry to hear about that. That is every couponer's biggest nightmare.

We do 4 bags of charcoal per deal. We usually hit the $50 mark before the last few coupons. :) BTW, Leela checked me out tonight. Have you ever had him as a cashier. He is my ABSOLUTE favorite cashier. What a super nice guy and so fun to talk to. I have only seen him working at night. He is from Nepal and he is very helpful. I also had a great bagger tonight (Greg). He is an African American guy and he only works at night when he is not going to school. Really great shop tonight. We went to Moore's Lane and Concord and Maryland Farms. Great shops at every store which was awesome!

Earthy Mama said...

ugh- I know- I am just sending up prayers that all it needs is a good defrosting.

I haven't met any of those guys, since I don't shop at night, but I'm glad you had some good cashiers! There is a bagger there during the day, well, two actually, but one guy's name I don't know- the other, Willy, is so sweet! He has a thick accent, older gentleman, from Brazil I think, and he LOVES my kids. They love him too. It is so fun to watch them interact with him and he speaks to them in (portugese?) and they just eat it up.

I love Publix. :D

I haven't been to the Concorde store in ages. When we used to live over there (before and right after N was born) that was my Publix of choice. PC of course (Pre-coupons) lol.

starbucksgirl said...

PC (pre-coupons)

LOL.

I know the bagger that you are talking about. He is a super sweet guy.

Me love Publix too. :D

Nonna said...

I love reading your blog. You have such cute posts along with the fab deals. It is refreshing to see young Moms like you saving that hard earned cash and working such great deals...

All I have to say is you all are awesome and I love Publix too !

My only question is: what the heck are you gonna do with all that charcoal ??? Ha Ha ! LOL

Bethany said...

Your post is kinda cracking me up! :) I do know what you mean though about complaining about something that has been given to you. I did that several months ago with a Walgreen's deal...picture 36 LARGE Tides, boxes of Charmin toilet paper, pampers, wipes, etc...All free! I got so sick of it that I stopped doing it. Who knew the well would dry up and the deal would be gone? Now, I need more diapers. yuck!

Anonymous said...

You should use all the money you save to buy Cloth Diapers! Then you would never have to buy more. Ahhhh, I'm loving cloth diapers on my newest little one. :)

starbucksgirl said...

Lynn, Welcome to our little local blog. We're pretty homey around here so sit back, relax and enjoy the posts. :)

Oh, and the charcoal....well, we sell it every week. We're trying to pay for our adoption expenses.

Thanks for your encouragement!

--------------

Bethany, hello friend. Couponing is definitely a love/hate relationship for me.

--------------

Anon, I despise cloth diapers. They gross me out.

starbucksgirl said...

Lynn, you're in good company here. I'm a HUGE Austen fan too (read your interests on your blog page). Persuasion is probably my favorite (most likely because I married when I was Anne's age). :)

Nonna said...

LA girl,

You are just darling !

It is so good to find other Austen fans. My favorite is Pride & Prejudice, maybe because I am a lot like Elizabeth ( I often form opinions that I later realize I have been mistaken about, so embarrassing ) and I was her age when I got married ! Persuasion is my second fav...Anne is who I would like to be more like in many ways. LOL

starbucksgirl said...

Lynn,

"Anne is who I would like to be more like in many ways. LOL"

That must be why you think I'm darling then. I am as Anne Eliott as they come.

Kisses,
Kelly

Earthy Mama said...

I know you don't like cloth diapers, but I wont hold it against you. :D I still love you.

And I love my cloth diapers. :D

starbucksgirl said...

Earthy, thanks for loving me even though I won't join in the ranks of the earth-loving, tree-hugging, vegetarian-eating society.

Variety is the spice of life.