Friday, June 12, 2009

Publix, Thursday 6/10/09















Jason and I went out and did a shop together last night at the Cool Springs store. We went there because they are a larger store and they are usually stocked up with what we need. We were also trying to spend our Register Rewards (will post on that deal later) that we received from Brandy and we knew that they would have more unusual items in stock.

We didn't have the best experience at checkout. I am providing the information below as a "learning experience" so that you can all learn along with me about what can happen at checkout.

Here's the story: I don't like to go to male cashiers as they are generally not as detailed as the female cashiers (remember, I said "generally)." We had a cashier named Drew (young male) and a bagger named Dana (older male). Drew gets "nervous" (his word) when couponers come through his line. He was definitely nervous. He called the customer service staff over to verify using a manufacturer's coupon and a store coupon together. He also wasn't too sure about those register rewards. Jason and I checked out separately and it took a really long time because he had the customer service staff stand there during the whole transaction and each time I would hand him a set of coupons he would turn to her and say, "is this ok?" The bagger kept making faces at the cashier and he was generally annoyed that we had so many coupons. Not a good experience. I will probably call the store manager on this transaction so that this doesn't happen to anyone else. I know that the store manager would want to know that his cashier doesn't want to "deal" with coupons (he kept asking the customer service staff to just take over the transaction because coupons made him "nervous)." Please understand that I expect difficult things to happen sometimes on these transactions. I go with the flow during the transaction and always act friendly, however, it is important to touch base with the store manager afterwards so that he can train his employees. Publix wants to provide the best customer service and they want to know if your experience wasn't good.

All that said, we got some great deals:
6 Sundown $2.99-3.29 ea ($6/2 Publix Q and $1/1 Q = FREE+)
4 Revlon $1.69-1.89 ea ($2/1 Publix Q = FREE+)
4 Beneful $2.75 raincheck ($3.50/1 = FREE+)
2 pork chops $1.97-$2.60 ea ($6/1 pork Q = FREE+)
12 filler $.99 ea (three .75 produce wyb butter spray Q = FREE+)
2 KC Masterpiece (FREE wyb charcoal = FREE)
6 butter sprays $1.15 ea (.50/1 Q = .15 ea)
13 ziplocs $1.99 ea ($.40/1 Q and $1/1 Target Q = .19 ea)
3 Driscol $2.00 ea ($1/1 Target Q & .75 prod. wyb butter = $.25 ea)
4 Playtex $2.14 ea ($2/2 Q = $1.14 ea)
5 Snuggle $2.99 ea (.50/1 = $1.99 ea)
2 Kingsford $9.79ea ($3/1 Q and $3/1 Food Lion Q = $3.79 ea)
3 chicken tenders $4.67-4.94 ea ($2/1 Food Lion Q = $2.67-2.94 ea)
Two $5/50 competitor coupons

TOTAL: $175.49
TOTAL AFTER COUPONS: $17.78
SAVINGS: 90%

NOTE: We had the butcher split up the pork chops into two separate packages so that our pork items were cheap; that allowed us overage for other items. The .75 produce WYB "I can't believe it's not butter" Q's were hangtags that were right on the butter. I have only found these at the Maryland Farms store. I looked at Nipper's and Moore's Lane and they did not have any.

NOTE2: I probably won't do anymore shops with Jason and the children at night. It was very difficult for me to do my coupon calculations with both Jason and the children there; they were very distracting. Jason wants me to go faster and he doesn't understand why I can't just hang out and relax as Savannah runs around the store like a banchee while I'm trying to focus and calculate. It just doesn't work. I have a much more pleasant shopping experience when we go shopping on Wednesdays without our children. Lesson learned.
NOTE3: I will sell the dog food and the charcoal and will make back $16.66 on these items which puts my final balance at $1.12

17 comments:

The Bargain Buggy said...

I noticed that you used two 5/50--are these both Publix 5/50? Could I use 2 of these when I have a total of over $100? I was unaware of this. :)

The Bargain Buggy said...

TOTALLY agree about leaving the kids at home...I tried taking them once---and NEVER again!!!! :) It was also the trip that I had sooo much trouble on.
Planning to do your Ziploc deal this next week--and the Sundown/Revlon Thanks!

Carissa said...

Yep. My sentiments exactly! That's why I can only go when Damien is home to watch the boys. I couldn't go with the boys even if I WANTED to. I have no place to put both of them (they are NOT walkers) and my coupons! I would love to do the Mother's Day Out with them, but it's so far away, it doesn't make sense.

I used to LOVE taking Jeremiah shopping with me. He was sooo good and we had a great time. Those days are over! But I will always cherish those memories, even though we were shopping as Wal-Mart!

starbucksgirl said...

SCG, we used two $5/50 competitor coupons (not Publix coupons). We actually split up our transactions; my husband checked out first and then I checked out.

As far as using two of them. You can always go to customer service and ask them. Sometimes they will let you. It just depends on who is working; their coupon guideline is written in such a way as to allow them grant a special deal if they want to. That's why they don't have a strict "policy."

starbucksgirl said...

Hey Carissa, I remember shopping with Savannah when she was a baby. It was such a joy! I would strap her into the baby bjorn and just enjoy shoppping (that was B.C....before couponing). LOL.

The Bargain Buggy said...

My 5/50 has fine print that says only one per person...So that is out if I am alone. I noticed that you are buying a lot of Snuggle. Is it on sale only this week for $2.99???

starbucksgirl said...

That's a bummer. Does it say one per transaction anywhere? I stocked up on Snuggle this trip but it goes on sale every 3-4 months at that same price. I bought some the last time and it was on sale and I was almost out. I was just experimenting with throwing it into my transaction to see if I could get it for free.

Vicki said...

FYI I was surprised how fast my charcoal sold. I listed it yesterday on Craigslist...and sold 8 bags today to one person. $5 per bag. Yeah!
I also bought myself some Sundown coupons on Ebay! Are you so proud of me? LOL

starbucksgirl said...

Vicki, hey girl. WOW! 8 bags for $5 a bag. That's $40. Woo-hoo! And, yes, I feel like a proud parent knowing you bought Sundown coupons on EBAY! Good move chickie!

Earthy Mama said...

I'm so sorry you had a bad experience! That is always a bummer. I was at the MF store today and used up the rest of my rr's since I wasn't sure if I'd be back that way before Thursday. I had a long convo with the Store Manager there about coupons and service in general. He was great! He said his basic opinion is that people using coupons are choosing to use them at his store instead of somewhere else, so he doesn't view the "money lost" on competitor q's and doubles, as money lost, but customers gained. One of my favorite cashiers was there and she was at u-scan but when he saw me coming to check out, he let her go to a register and open it to check me out :) (I told him how awesome she was).
Some people think the way to go is by "flying under the radar" but I disagree, I think getting to know everyone is the way to go.

starbucksgirl said...

Brandy, I agree. I like to get to know all of the cashiers and the managers really well. That way they feel comfortable with me and all of my deals!

The Cool Springs store is really large so it tends to be a bit on the impersonal side I think. I do like shopping there though and have never had a difficult experience until the other day. We went to the Franklin store last night on Royal Oaks; that is a GREAT store to shop. It is HUGE and they are always in stock.

Anyway, we miss you at mom's group and several of the girls have asked about you. We hope to see you soon!

Earthy Mama said...

I miss you guys too! I am hoping to be down that way next Friday or the following week if you guys are getting together. My schedule has been weird lately, but now we're getting that all straightened out. :)

I'll have to check out those two stores next time I'm down there- the kids' dr is off McEwen, past Cool Springs, so the next dr visit I'll have to check out one of those two stores.

Anonymous said...

where do you sell the charcoal? Thank you so much

Earthy Mama said...

Heya! I posted this on my blog too, but wanted to jump over and see if you had any new deals posted. :) Thank so much for the offer on Morningstar! We eat a ton of it when I can get it for a good price. Whatever they have in stock. I think there is something that is cheaper than the rest- most is 3.99 but I'm thinking that something was 3.49? That might give you more overage. But whatever you get - we'll eat...bacon, sausage, chicken nuggets, hot dogs, etc. I'll make freezer space for it. THANK YOU!! :)

Earthy Mama said...

Hey- also, heads-up, if you're a member of the Publix Baby Club, I got a new packet today and it has $1/any fresh meat item of $1 or more Publix coupon in there. :) Good for your charcoal deal!

starbucksgirl said...

Anon, you can sell it at a garage sale or you can sell it online (at a number of different venues). You will have to find a venue that works best for you. Be creative.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much. I LOVE your site and am slowly learning.
BTW,, I have more A1 than I know what to do with..maybe that would go great with the charcoal LOL
Michele