Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Hungry for lunch @ Publix, Wednesday 6/10/09















Jason called me and asked me to come and do our shop early today because he was really hungry. I was sitting in the Target parking lot contemplating getting out of the car with my coupons, baby and diaper bag in tow.......but when a man is hungry (which, as you know, is quite often) you must meet that need immediately. I proceeded to hang up the phone and then drove over to meet him at the Maryland Farms Publix.

We split up and I immediately noticed that the Playtex were higher here than at Old Hickory so we stopped our shop and put our charcoal and KC Masterpiece back on the shelves.

I told him that I wanted to get some free Snuggle while we were here so I threw in a couple of moneymakers and grabbed my snuggle and then mentioned that we could go and grab fast food somewhere. Jason just looked at me and smiled and told me that we would spend the same here if we just went to the deli and it would taste better than fast food. Good point Jason.

We have a chinese takeout at our Publix and they had an advertised special that I had never seen before (buy 1 plate for $6.99 and get one for $2.99). This put our deli balance at $10 (after taxes) so I couldn't resist pulling out my shiny new Food Lion $3/10 Deli purchase. I also remembered that I had a few Target $1/1 Driscol strawberry coupons. I asked Jason to go and check to see if they had Driscol strawberries as I knew that they were on sale for 2/$4.00. They had them!

All of a sudden it became a game to see if we could get our balance up to $50 so that we could use our $5/50 competitor coupon and then try to get our lunch for super cheap while getting our Snuggle, Planters and strawberries for free.

No problem.

Here's the deal:
6 Sundown $2.99-3.29 ea ($6/2 Publix Q and $1/1 Q = FREE+)
1 Revlon $1.89 ea ($2/1 Publix Q = FREE+)
2 Planters $1.79 ea ($2/1 Food Lion Q = FREE+)
2 Planters $2.09 ea ($2/1 Food Lion Q = .09 ea)
2 Driscol strawberries $2.00 ea ($1/1 Target Q = $1.00 ea)
2 Snuggle $2.99 ea (.50/1 = $1.99 ea)
2 Chinese entrees $8.98 ($3/10 Food Lion Q = $5.98)
1 Serrano $.09 (no coupon)
1 Habanero $.20 (no coupon)
1 Jalapeno $.08 (no coupon)
$5/50 competitor coupon

TOTAL: $55.38
TOTAL AFTER COUPONS: $4.40
SAVINGS: 91%

NOTE: I'm pretty sure that the gal at the deli charged us wrong for the chinese food. It should have been $9.98. I'm not sure what happened but I didn't notice it until we got home. We bought one dinner at $6.99 and then got another one for $2.99. Somehow it rang up at $8.98. Hmmm. This picture above displays what was left after we both ate our lunch. These leftovers will feed Savannah and I for a few days for lunch!

NOTE 2: Chinese takeout is way better than McDonalds.

NOTE 3: This is not our usual Wednesday shop. I will be going to Publix tomorrow to do our regular shop. Keep an eye out for my post as I spotted a super fun deal today which involves more FREE produce!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome shop! Is there a new FL Planters coupon? The only one I could find expired 6/9 (yesterday)... :(

Wendy

Bethany said...

I think you can do a bit better! LOL! But, seriously, what if you only bought jalepeno peppers and put them in separate bags? You could save 30 more cents! :) I'm still just so jealous you get to use Food Lion!! WAAHHHHH!! :)

starbucksgirl said...

No, there isn't. You have to get permission from the customer service counter to use an expired coupon. They will usually let you if it is within a few days.

starbucksgirl said...

Bethany, I totally agree girl!

I had my hungry hubby tailing me today so I had to think quick on my feet and move fast through the store to throw in my moneymakers and carefully choose items to bring my balance low. The pressure was killing me. I'm certain that I could have brought my balance to $2.50 (which was my tax). LOL.

starbucksgirl said...

Anon, keep in mind that they may say no though. It's up to your manager's discretion.