

Jason and I decided that it was time to sell all of the extra stockpile items that we have accumulated over the last quarter. We had a huge amount of BBQ Sauce, Glad snack bags, windex, vitamins, shampoo, makeup, revlon tools, etc.
Did I mention that we have alot of BBQ Sauce?
We put up signs this morning at 6:00am and by 10:30am we had sold everything. Yes, I said everything. I priced most items to sell since they were all FREE when I obtained them.
Why am I posting about this? So that you will realize that all of those extra items that you are obtaining for free are worth something to someone else. The money that we made will pay for our groceries for an entire year.
Total amount of time spent getting ready for the sale: 2 hours
Total # of people that came to the sale: Approximately 200
Total money made in 4.5 hours: $695
Look on my face afterwards: Priceless
I won't be posting but that doesn't mean that I don't have anything to say. LOL.
16 comments:
WOW!!! As always such an inspiration!!! Tim has been telling me to do this for quite some time, so now I'm more motivated than ever!!! :) Your shopping posts will be missed.
How did you advertise the sale? As a garage sale? Surplus sale? Did you put an ad in the paper?
You are inspiring! My DH is in awe! My question is, how on earth did you get 200 people to come to your garage sale in just 4.5 hours? Thats just crazy! I could be out there all week and not get 200 people. Awesome!
WOW! Cool, I have been thinking about doing one. May I ask what you sold the BBQ sauce for? I have so much A1 and BBQ Sauce I could fill a swimming pool.
Great job!!!
Wow.. even i want to shop at your yard sale. One question did you advertise in the paper- like stockpile to go or something. Also did you have anything other than your stockpile items to sell. I have never attended a yard sale that has only had grocery items.. this inspires me.. i may just have to have a yard sale. Thanks.
Great idea!! Thanks for sharing!
wow!!! that is awesome! I'll tell Adam, but then he'll force me into the driveway to do the same. :)
Answers to some of your questions:
1. I didn't advertise the sale in the paper or online.
2. I made really good big signs with clear directions. Just put "garage sale" and our address and "charcoal 3/$10." We also put arrows on the signs directing people from both entrances to our subdivision.
3. Keep in mind that our subdivision is off of a fairly busy street so we get alot of traffic.
4. We had several Hispanic families from the area come to the sale. My biggest tip is to learn some Spanish so that you can say hello in Spanish and be able to give them the cost of the items in their language. I had five years of Spanish so I can speak to Hispanics conversationally which really helps. I also usually gave them a discount. For example, if they had purchased $11.50 worth of stuff I gave it to them for $10. Many of those families called their friends and then they came back a second time to get more stuff.
5. I sold the BBQ sauce for $.50 cents each in the begnning and then towards the end I sold it 4 for $1.00. Do what the stores do and put signs up that say "4 for a $1.00." People will be encouraged to buy 4 of the item.
6. I did not sell anything except stockpile items. The first few people that drove up just looked at what we saw and then drove by. Once the Hispanic population hit the garage sale we suddenly had other folks stop and look (people are like sheep and they like to follow so they will stop if they see that other people want what you have).
7. Here are the prices of the items that I sold:
Shampoo $1.00
Haircolor $1.00
Body Spray $1.00
Cleansers $1.00
Hair products $1.00
Deoderant $.50
Makeup $1.00
Toothpaste $1.00
Revlon tools $1.00
Covergirl sponges $1.00
Covergirl sharpeners $1.00
Spice grinders $.50
Pasta $.50
BBQ Sauce $.50
Kool Aid 20 for $1.00
Sugar $.50
Glad Snack bags $.50
Glad Wrap $.50
Huggies Baby wash $1.00
Formula cans (samples) $1.00
Cereal $1.00
Keebler sandwich crackers $1.00
Windex $1.00
Vitmains $1.00
When I only had about 20% of my stuff left then I slashed my prices so that everything was $.50 cents. When I really started getting tired I started making deals (i.e. sold the last 20 BBQ sauces for $8.00 just to get rid of them). Then I slashed the vitamins to $.25 cents each.
Just remember that if you want to be successful then you need to think like a person that wants to get a good deal. Don't set your prices too high. Practically give the stuff away and you will have alot of traffic. Many of the people that came to the sale said that their "friend" had called them and told them about the sale.
Some other things I just remembered:
1. The signs were a bright color.
2. Sold the Matchlite charcoal for $4.00 a bag or 3/$10. We also sold some mesquite for 3/$10 and then we started selling the regular Kingsford for $5.00 a bag.
3. I always told people how much the retail price was for the items so that they could have an idea re: the kind of deal that they were getting.
A few other items:
Listerine $1.00
Room freshener spray $1.00
Beneful dog food $2.00
Cascade rinse $1.00
Lysol 4-in-1 $1.00
I'll let you know if I think of anything else.
That is awesome! I'll miss your shops, and I'm looking forward to when you start posting again. I always appreciate your tips and advice. I introduced myself to my local Publix manager last week, I think it will help me when I am checking out to know that I am a "legit coupon lady." Ha! Thanks again for all that you do!
Wow! What a great idea. We are having a neighborhood garage sale in a couple weeks and we will definitely be putting out some charcoal and BBQ Sauce! Thank you so much for sharing the details of what made yours so successful!
Love ya!
I called my mom to tell her of your wonderful idea of a "stockpile" yard sale! She loved it! The funny part was that I told her I would have loved to have shopped at it! Dog food for $2!! Awesome deal and I'm a couponer!!! :)
Wow Kelly! Totally impressed, as always! Good job!
Thank you for all your posts - they have really helped me!
Wow!! That's great!
Just invite us to your yard sale next time and we can skip the couponing altogether! (Just kidding, I can never go back to paying full price for groceries!)
Bryan
Post a Comment